[Herky] Derrell Johnson-Koulianos Statement on His Time with Iowa Football

Larry Edwards larryed6124 at knology.net
Thu Jun 11 06:25:21 PDT 2020

Curtis, your point about breaking down to build you back up is a very good one. Football is a team sport even more than wrestling where athletes are encouraged to work first for the good of the team in a unified way. "Break the rock!" Iowa banned most social media and Freshmen speaking to the press to ensure that unified message. However, if only a single unified message is allowed, that will reflect the white culture that is Iowa and there will be pressure for blacks to conform to that. Someone as flamboyant as DKJ was will find conformance difficult. The challenge going forward will be to find ways to allow divergent views and actions while maintaining the team unity and effort needed for success. It won't be easy. "Boot camp" sounds like a good way to describe the late summer preseason.