[Herky] Half Oregon 56 Iowa 46

Jayant Rajgopal jay.rajgopal at gmail.com
Tue Mar 23 17:22:04 PDT 2021

I agree about the competition Scott - so much more fun to watch them
destroy UNC than Bidirectional A&T.
I have really enjoyed this season though (the blowout losses to Gonzaga and
Oregon notwithstanding...).  Garza represents everything that is right
about college sports - such a good kid, in addition to being the best
Hawkeye basketball player that I have watched in 40 years.
I think the injury to CJ and (especially) losing Nunge made a huge
difference late in the season.  I also think the biggest problem with this
team was its lack of speed/athleticism - the superior offense and the great
hustle couldn't always compensate for that (Illinois, the two Indiana games
and yesterday being good examples).  And the relatively poor defense - I've
always felt that McCaffery doesn't emphasize defense enough...
Anyway, I think we'll be OK next year - Murray will be all Big Ten, I
guarantee . But we do need to recruit some quick guards/small forwards.
On a related note, the women's team is such a joy to watch!  I watched the
Kentucky blowout this afternoon (one of the perks of "working" from home).
They are so loose and just seem to be having so much fun - especially
Czinano!  Unfortunately, the difference between the "elites" and the rest
is too big compared to the men's side of things. Even Maryland, which is -
easily - the best team in the Big Ten is probably a bit of a long shot to
win it all.   It'll be interesting to see how close Iowa is able to keep it
with Yukon...