[Herky] Quick Hits: Fran McCaffery talks with media as summer workouts begin

larry edwards larryed6124 at gmail.com
Sat Jun 5 09:31:45 PDT 2021

Here is one Weiskamp evaluation:
Joe Wieskamp – Iowa – 6’6, 212 lbs – Junior – August 1999

Wieskamp was one of the best shooters in college last season (46% on 5.1
attempts from three), and that skill should translate to the next level.
He’s got a smooth release, with decent elevation, and legit size to match.
Wieskamp also showed versatility as a shooter, hitting shots off the move
and using one or two dribbles to get to a spot and elevate. My favorite
skill of his is the ability to navigate screens for off-ball space creation.

His ancillary skills still leave a bit to be desired. Attacking closeouts,
Wieskamp tends to stop short of the paint and shoot a pull-up. He doesn’t
pressure the defense going downhill. When he did get into the paint though,
Wieskamp was actually a solid finisher, making just under 60% of his
attempts at the rim.

Defensively, Wieskamp
<https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/4397033/joe-wieskamp>
has
the height to defend wings but he’ll need to add strength to his frame.
He’s not overly quick and his team defense leaves a bit to be desired. In a
playoff game, it’s plausible he’d be picked on, but he should be able to
hang with second units in the regular season.

Given the importance of shooting, a 6’6 sniper is someone I’d definitely
take a chance on in round two. Given his age and athleticism, there are
certain limits to his ceiling. But Wieskamp should shoot well enough and
create enough gravity to stick as a rotational shooter on the wing. That’s
not something I’d value until the middle or late second round, but I
believe he’ll be able to stick in the league.

https://bustingbrackets.com/2021/06/04/nba-draft-2021-look-10-best-big-ten-basketball-prospects/5/