[Herky] Men's Basketball 5/2/2019 Isaiah Moss to Transfer

Larry Edwards larryed6124 at knology.net
Sun May 5 14:33:40 PDT 2019

I tried to reply earlier, but that message appaently got lost.

Patrick says he weighs 180 lbs now and he and his father think he needs to get up to 195 lbs to play in the Big Ten. Whether that is possible for a thyroid cancer suvior is the question.

https://www.thegazette.com/subject/sports/iowa-prep-sports/basketball/gaining-strength-and-weight-is-top-priority-for-incoming-hawkeye-freshman-patrick-mccaffery-20190327

CEDAR RAPIDS — More than once this season, you noticed Patrick McCaffery bent over a trash can before or at halftime of an Iowa City West boys’ basketball game. He was vomiting.

“That was really more so nerves and anxiety than anything,” McCaffery said.

Even the best players can experience stuff like that. It means they care.

The really, really good thing in McCaffery’s case was it had nothing to do with his health. The 6-foot-8 senior, who took part in Wednesday night’s annual Eastern Iowa All-Star Games at Kirkwood’s Johnson Hall, was discovered to have thyroid cancer when he was in seventh grade.

Treatment after having the gland surgically removed was rough, as you’d expect, but McCaffery has been cancer free since since its conclusion.

“Honestly, I don’t really think about it that much at this point,” he said. “It’s part of my past. I kind of embrace it ... You’ve got to deal with it and move on. Be a better you every day.”

That doesn’t mean there have been no lingering effects. McCaffery is skinny, all of about 180 pounds.

He knows he’ll have to weigh more than that once he gets to the University of Iowa, where he will play for his dad, Fran. It is difficult to put on pounds when you have no thyroid.

“It just kind of affects my appetite, as well as my energy,” Patrick said. “We’re still trying to figure out the right dosage for my medicine, trying to get it right. It’s kind of complicated. The doctor’s main thing is, obviously, to make sure the cancer doesn’t come back. That’s my main priority.

ARTICLE CONTINUES BELOW ADVERTISEMENT