[Herky] Hawkeyes go down

Larry Edwards larryed6124 at knology.net
Sun Dec 3 13:32:16 PST 2017

The play at the end where replay showed Baer stealing the ball without fouling, only to have a foul called, was discouraging. Ralph Miller said 50 years ago that the game was beyond the ability of officials to see and call. It is just too fast, physical, and view obstructed. Miller's suggestion was to have an official stationed above the court for better viewing angles. Unlike Football, which has discrete plays, basketball has continuous play and id impractical to review. As Steve Bardo said earlier in the game, officials could call a foul on every play. I can't see how technology can improve officiating as basketball is played now without making it unwatchable.