[Herky] BB rules changes approved (men's)

Sue Bailey minburnsb at gmail.com
Wed Jun 10 08:46:54 PDT 2015

Rule changes approved

*IOWA CITY, Iowa -- *On Monday, the NCAA Playing Rules Oversight Panel
approved a number of proposals in men's basketball to improve pace of
play and reduce the physicality in the sport. Changes will begin to take
affect this fall.

*Pace of Play*

The panel approved a number of proposals to improve the pace of play,
including reducing the shot clock from 35 seconds to 30.

"I like the change to the 30-second shot clock, although I was okay with
it being at 35," said UI head coach Fran McCaffery. "We like to attack
and drive the basketball, and like to run on makes and misses, so I
think the change will be good for us."

Other notable changes to improve pace of play include:

* Teams will have one fewer timeout (only three can carryover instead of
four) in the second half.
* Adjusting the media timeout procedures to allow a timeout called
within 30 seconds of a media timeout (at the 16:30 mark) or at any time
after the scheduled media timeout becomes the media timeout.
* Removing the ability for a coach to call timeout when the ball is live.

* Allowing a total of only 10 seconds to cross half court(with a few
exceptions).

McCaffery said the change of coaches not being able to execute timeouts
during live play puts a premium on having high-basketball IQ players on
the court who know when to call timeout.

"You have to change their mindset," McCaffery said. "The thing you have
to remember is that it doesn't have to be the guy being trapped, any of
your teammates can call a timeout."

*Restricted-Area Arc*

The panel approved the expansion of the restricted-area arc from 3 feet
to 4 feet. Moving the arc a foot farther from the basket is part of a
continued focus on reducing the number of collisions at the basket.

"The one change I like the most is that they are extending the
restricted arc to limit the number of collisions at the rim, which will
result in fewer charging violations," McCaffery said. "I don't think
defenders should be running in front of drivers causing collisions at
the rim. The committee's decision to try to address that was good for
college basketball."

*Other changes*

Expansion of video replay in two areas:

* Allowing officials to use the monitor to review a potential shot clock
violation on made field goals throughout the entire game.

* During the use of a video review to see if a possible flagrant foul
occurred, the panel approved a rule that would allow officials to
penalize players who fake fouls.

The panel also eliminated the five-second closely guarded rule while
dribbling the ball and making Class B technical fouls (hanging on the
rim and delaying the resumption of play, for example) one-shot technical
fouls. Previously, two shots were granted for these types of technical
fouls.

McCaffery has been a head or assistant coach in college basketball for
29 years and said that this is the longest list of changes he has ever
seen for college basketball.

"I can't remember a year in the past where there have been this many
changes to the game; but all-in-all I think they're all good. The intent
is to increase scoring," said McCaffery.

McCaffery's Hawkeye teams like to push the ball with the last four
seasons, Iowa finishing in the top half of the Big Ten in scoring
offense, including averaging the most points per game in 2013-14 (81.5).