[Herky] Smiley

jehauck at bellsouth.net jehauck at bellsouth.net
Fri Mar 5 13:26:40 PST 2021

Ok, I was afraid of that.  Here is the text:

One sweet soul: 'Smiley' is OK, but friends miss his grin around Iowa City

Chill out, local fans of Gary “Smiley” Bloore.

He’s OK. He’s just working his upbeat magic in a different locale.

After more than 50 years as an ever-present, self-appointed ambassador of cheer in downtown Iowa City and at hundreds of area sporting events, Smiley now brightens the halls of Clover Ridge Place, an assisted living complex in his original hometown area of Maquoketa.

At 74, he's relocated because of the pandemic and some health concerns. His family reports that, although he's in a safer spot, he still misses his independence and friends.

Gary’s famous toothy grin has not been seen on Iowa City streets for more than a year, to the dismay of literally generations of local residents. They always counted on him to show up wearing his custom-made hats and unique T-shirts adorned with multiple buttons honoring his friends and high school sports heroes.

On the street, he would have a cheery greeting for all, take mug shots with his Kodak Instamatic camera for his button collection and, later in life, pose for selfies. He's been such a faithful fixture at so many Hawkeye and high school football, basketball and softball games that the Iowa Girls' Coaches Association gave him a special service award last year.

One fan, Katy Brown of Iowa City, is now preparing a photo book of greetings from those who felt Smiley brightened their lives with every chance meeting. Check out the fan Facebook page created in his honor, titled “ <https://www.facebook.com/SmileyFansIC> I Heart 'Smiley' of Iowa City,” or simply send your photos or messages to her at  <mailto:%20smileybookiowa at gmail.com> smileybookiowa at gmail.com.

Social media tributes to him on the site are peppered with words like "kind," "inspirational," "sweet soul," "bright light," "true friend to everybody" and "legendary Iowa City icon." The general theme seems to be: “Every time I saw him, he made my day.”

Some friends suggest Smiley for grand marshal in a future Hawkeye homecoming parade when it returns to Iowa City's downtown streets, while others want him declared “Favorite Iowa City Character.”

Most know him only by his nickname, the origins of which are unknown, even if the reason for the moniker is clear.

His sister, Jean Kent of DeWitt, was kind enough to update me on her brother’s life and talk of his impact on so many of the people he meets.

Gary grew up on a farm north of Elwood in the Maquoketa area and was faced with some impaired mental development. “But he never accepted that,” said Jean, “and our parents wanted him to be able to work and live on his own.”

As a young adult, Gary worked at grocery stores and attended night school in Maquoketa to complete his GED. Soon after, he became a dishwasher for what was then known as Oakwood Hospital in Coralville. >From there, he took the same job at the University of Iowa, working at various dormitory kitchens and collecting college student friends across campus.

Amazingly, he stayed in that university job for the next 45 years. Jean says he racked up literally hundreds of unused sick days by the time he finally retired at age 70 in 2015.

“Mom always told him to work hard to keep his job or he would have to come back home,” Jean quipped. “He didn’t mind visiting the farm for a few days, but he was very proud and happy working for the university and living in Iowa City. We were lucky to have him around for some holidays, since he couldn’t miss any activity in Iowa City.”

Gary treasured his independence and lived alone in various one-bedroom apartments, mostly near downtown, even after retiring. He never learned to drive and walked everywhere, but he often got a lift from friends as he pursued his passion of attending athletic events wherever he could.

He sometimes hitchhiked, much to the family’s dismay. “He once took off walking down the interstate to Des Moines to a concert,” Jean reported. “He was determined to get there, and he did. He caught a ride with somebody. People looked out for him.”

Since Gary didn’t cook for himself, he became a well-known patron at places like Hamburg Inn No. 2, George’s Buffet and Donnelly’s Pub. His smiling face even appeared on a welcome banner posted by the city’s downtown district, a treasure now hanging in his assisted living apartment.

He was a familiar spectator at state girls' softball tournaments in Fort Dodge and never missed the Miss Iowa Pageant. He was often presented free admission at high school events and sometimes adopted by teams. The Clear Creek Amana softball girls usually threw him a birthday party each July, presenting him with a cake and a “No. 1 Fan” T-shirt.

He was happiest, Jean said, “when he could come and go on his own and greet people.”

It was a tough move for all when it finally became time for Gary to have more supervision in his life. After six months living with Jean, he settled in at Clover Ridge in February last year.

As you might guess, a pandemic that limited contact with elderly residents has been hard on Smiley and those closest to him.

“But he’s had a lot of blessings and he has been able to make a wonderful life,” Jean said, describing the continuing kindnesses of so many strangers and friends toward her brother.

“And he’s still doing very well,” she added. “He’s around people.”