[Herky] Final Iowa 58 Minnesota 55

Stephen Somermeyer steve at somermeyer.com
Mon Feb 17 08:41:15 PST 2020

 A great gutty performance.  I got that sinking feeling when Minny made that last run so was really excited when the Hawkeyes pulled it out.  Wiezy seemed a bit off but Minny really focused on him, especially when Garzilla was on the bench.  Hope it was just an off night and that he'll bounce back Thursday.
A few memories - When Stick was a freshman he got pissed during a practice and punched the senior captain guard right in the mouth knocking out a tooth or two.  Nobody teased about his skinnyness or messed with him again.
- Didn't that team set and still holds the conference scoring average of 103/game?  And this was before the 3-pt shot.
- Fran gets red faced when he's irritated - You could tell Ralph Miller's mood by how he put his bottle of water on the floor under his seat.  The harder it went down the madder he was.
- I had a number of late nights studying at Engineering Bldg. and discovered that John Johnson worked late at the gas station downtown pumping gas to help make ends meet.  Once I discovered that I always stopped there on way home and chatted with him - very nice, humble guy.
Go Hawks!
Steve