[Herky] Players mental health overlooked in Big Ten's decision

June Hauck jehauck at bellsouth.net
Mon Aug 17 11:08:41 PDT 2020

Fall football: This is a real conundrum.  Reading the comments on the Hawkeye Heaven Facebook page (not something I’d recommend), there are a lot of people who are very dismissive of any efforts to rein in the pandemic and seem to want to play football with full stadiums and no restrictions.  Others say that the players would be safer in a controlled environment than they would be with no football.  I do wonder, though, how “controlled” it would be.  I heard on the radio that for example, the MLB players are confined to their hotel rooms when travelling and can’t even share a meal in another player’s room.  I can’t see how that could work with college students.  The NBA and NHL bubbles are working, but again, that wouldn’t work for college football.

I hate not having fall football, it’s my favorite time of year.  I’ll watch games from the SEC, ACC and Big 12, but I have to wonder what they will do when there’s an outbreak on a team.

Finally, this pandemic sucks

June