[Herky] OK State at Iowa on BTN now

Jeff Napier jnapier111 at outlook.com
Mon Jan 15 13:09:36 PST 2018

Downey is an interesting case. He has had a lot of issues in the past so there is a risk in taking him. Many are opposed to him wrestling for Iowa. This is like the 5th or so school he has been at.  He wrestled for ISU last year but was dropped from the squad/ not allowed to wrestle for them at the end of last year.  He has been working out with the HWC while talking 24 hours of credit online to graduate from ISU so he could grad transfer to Iowa. He has done this and will officially be a student at Iowa when classes start.

He is a very good wrestler. He finished 5th at the 2016 NCAAs. Many think he can make the finals and maybe even win it.  From the times I have watched him I have not been as impressed.  He seems to be a very defensive wrestler seldom taking shots.  Apparently very good at upper body stuff. Hopefully the time in the Iowa wrestling room will make a big difference and he can make the jump needed.  His first match will probably be against Ohio State who has the number 2 guy in the country so I guess we will find out then where he stands.