[Herky] Prediction for tonight's starting lineup

John Lundell johnalundell at gmail.com
Fri Jan 5 13:24:16 PST 2018

First off, there are too many games left in the season for me to support firing anyone. I’m also proud of the longevity most coaches have enjoyed at Iowa (Ferentz, Bluder, Brands, etc.) which reflects well on the institution. I realize too that often times there issues behind the scene that are not made public which have an impact on performance such as injuries or sickness. Fran has proven to run a clean program with no major player incidents that I can recall. And it is definitely true that he has been successful at his previous programs.

So I want to give him every chance to succeed. But after six years at Iowa I certainly would expect a far better record than we have. There are others on Herky that are MUCH better than me at pointing out our team’s on court deficiencies and what needs to be done to improve. I have to believe that Fran and his coaches are aware (hopefully even more so) of these issues and therefore it is up to the coaching staff to implement the corrective measures. That is what makes a coach great- not just drawing up the game plan but especially getting the team to implement it. To have the skills to teach/motivate the players. To create good chemistry, etc. This area is where I fear Fran and his coaches are lacking. And I’m sure no one is more frustrated than Fran himself which probably contributes his antics on (actually off) the bench of screaming, etc. which I do not feel reflect well on our University.

So yes, I place significant blame on Fran and his coaches for our dismal performance but am not getting out the axe yet.

Go Hawks.

John