[Herky] Iowa - Iowa State Wrestling - Disappointing Win

Jeff Napier jnapier111 at outlook.com
Sat Dec 1 14:39:21 PST 2018

Iowa beats Iowa State in wrestling 19-18.  Iowa came really close to losing to Iowa State for the first time in like 17 years.  DeSanto had to fight off his back in the final 30 seconds of the last match to preserve the win.  I am hoping that the flu that caused Brands to hold out a couple of guys last week has hit the entire team. If not then this team is not nearly as good as we hoped.

141 - Murin loses  on a last second takedown.  He thought he could give up the TD and still win but instead lost.
149 - Lugo gives up a last second TD to lose the match.  Lugo needs to learn how to finish on taller guys which is every one he wrestles. He was in on 4-5 really good shots but did not finish and actually gave up TD on a couple of them.
157 - Young wins on decision but did not but hold on the last part of the match
165 - Marinelli was the only that looked good dominating early and finally ending it with a pin
174 - Wilson  goes into this match a big underdog.  He is ahead mid way through the second period when he hurts his knee and has to forfeit.  I expect that Moody will probably go up to cover that weight now.
184 - Tell me if you have heard this before - Wilcke loses on a late TD at the end
197 - Warner makes his Hawkeye debut. Look s really good in getting and early TD and riding tough.  Then he is limping big time after hurting his ankle. He continues to wrestle but mostly just trying to hang on.  Miklus (who is the higher ranked wrestler) gets a TD with 10 seconds or so left (noticing a trend her) that puts him ahead. However Warner is able to get a lest second reversal to win the match.
285 - Sam Stoll makes his season debut and dominates his match but only wins 5-1.
125 - Spencer Lee is back (sort of). He gets a TD and turns the guy multiple times and lead 11 -0 of something like that.  From this point on Lee basically has nothing. He takes no shots. He gets called for stalling multiple times . The ISU guy gets in on multiple good shots but Lee is able to get a stalemate.  ISU gets a TD and  Lee is hanging on at the end almost giving up another TD.  Very big that the ISU guy did not get the TD as Lee was able to get the major decision putting Iowa up by 4.
133 DeSanto just needs to keep it to a decision. It is a really good match tied 8-8 late in the match when Gomez throws Desanto to his back with 40 seconds left.  I thought it was going to be a pin but DeSanto was able to get off his back when Gomez tried to adjust his hold. Desanto lost 14-9 but Iowa held on to win 19-18