[Herky] Hlas: Weird and tedious game, but Hawkeyes prevail

Stephen Somermeyer steve at somermeyer.com
Sun Sep 17 06:31:53 PDT 2017

The article's headline sums it up for me. Hard to believe that 2 TD's were taken off the scoreboard early for Hawkeyes & then North Texas got ahead. Then the injuries to the backs & the dropped/slightly overthrown passes.  Not what anyone would have predicted.
The halftime adjustments changed the game in Iowa's favor.    However the pass rush was sporadic as was the offensive blocking.  Mean Green's speed bothered Iowa.
Did the Hawks go on 4th down 4 times yesterday?  If so that has to be a record for Kirk.  I do like the play calling much more than the recent past - thanks Brian.
Lastly Jewel gets a lot of pub for his tackle #'s and leadership but as I commented last year on many of his tackles the runner falls forward for several more yards.
Still the Hawkeyes are 3-0 and show a lot of promise. Next week we'll learn if they're for real. Beat Penn St. & they'll probably crack the top 25.
Go Hawkeyes!!

ps:  the natives have to be restless in Lincoln.

Sent from my iPhone