[Herky] What does Iowa PG Christian Williams’ departure mean for Connor McCaffery?

Larry Edwards larryed6124 at knology.net
Fri Oct 27 12:00:30 PDT 2017

https://www.landof10.com/iowa/iowa-point-guard-christian-williams-departure-mean-connor-mccaffery

This may not be a case of Conner McCaffrey pulling his redshirt because Christian Williams is going to transfer. It may be that Christian is transferring because Conner is pulling his redshirt and the fall practices have established a pecking order for playing time. Look at Fran's statement from media day that I quoted in a previous email. Christian Williams is playing "well" but Conner is "terrific" with point guard skills. Christian may have seen the writing on the wall from practice that playing time will be limited.

"We have plenty of candidates. Christian Williams is playing well; Brady Ellingson is playing well there; Connor is planning on redshirting. I mean, obviously if we had to play him we could. He's really a terrific player at that position, so we'll see. We've got plenty of options. I'm not worried about it at all."