[Herky] NFL Combine

Dennis v dvanlangen at verizon.net
Sat Mar 4 15:55:20 PST 2017

I don’t think Illinois was going to get in regardless of their loss today.  It boils down to Iowa and Michigan for the 7th team from the B1G to get a bid.  If Nebraska can beat the Wolverines, and the Hawkeyes take care of business on seniors day at Carver, it will be real interesting.  It will depend on who performs best in the BTT.  If either team is one and done, they are out.  If both go one and done, then it’s really interesting.  If one of them has a good showing, then they will probably get the bid to The Dance.

So, assuming the Cornhuskers can beat Michigan tomorrow night, and Iowa wins tomorrow, Iowa finishes the conference with a 10-8 record and Michigan will be 9-9.  Iowa beat Michigan in their only game. But if it comes down to these 2 teams for a bid and the difference is 2 more wins by Michigan for their overall record (which they have now), I guess the committee will consider this:
1.  Both teams have several quality wins.
2.  Head to head game – Iowa wins at home in OT
3.  Cook out of action due to injury for seven games
4.  Strength of schedule – Michigan had a tougher non-conference schedule, and went 10-3.  Definite edge to the Wolverines.
5.  Iowa has more bad losses.
6.  How are they playing lately?  Michigan has the edge, 5-2 last 7, while Iowa is 4-3.  Both teams have a pair of QWs in that stretch.

I guess the best thing for Iowa would be to beat Penn State tomorrow and play a game a week later – on Sunday in the BTT – and win.

Dennis v.