[Herky] NFL Combine

Stephen Somermeyer steve at somermeyer.com
Sat Mar 4 14:57:29 PST 2017

Once again Kim and I got free tickets to watch a portion of the Combine this morning (early - had to be checked in before 7 for a 8:30-9am drills start).  Got to see CJ get measured and see him throw.  He did not run the 40 due to lingering hamstring injury.  He seemed to have a nice conversation with Dallas Clark who talked to us via FM radios we all got.  Marshall Faulk explained each drill including what to watch for and why it was important to the NFL teams. Both Marshall and Dallas were excellent.  We saw about 1/2 of the QB's including Kizer from Notre Dame and Leidner from Minny plus half of the 59 wide receivers.  With only 8 QB's in this group they all got lots of throwing chances with so many WO's participating.   It's really tough to grade the participants since the QB's were throwing to the WO's without any practice/repetitions.  CJ threw well in my opinion with decent zip and good accuracy.  In comparison, Kizer who has a chance to go in first round was somewhat erratic and overthrew several receivers.
Kittle participated in the afternoon session and I see online that he was in the top 3 re: 40 yd dash and top half of the TE's in the bench press.  Desmond King - who the NFL scouts see as a safety prospect - and Jaleel Johnson work out on Sunday I think.
It's one of the perks to live in Indy which has many opportunities for sports viewing.  Kim's a sports fan but 3 hours of the Combine was overload for her.
On another note, Illini got beat by Rutgers today which really damaged their NCAA hopes and help the Hawkeyes if they can beat Penn. St. tomorrow.  Several of the bracket 'experts' seem to think if Iowa can beat Nittany Lions and win 1 in the Big Ten Tourney, they'd get an invite.  I've been really impressed at the perseverance and the team defense over the last several game.  Getting hot at the right time.  Hope it continues tomorrow!
Go Hawks!!