[Herky] Herky Digest, Vol 118, Issue 23

Jeff Napier jnapier111 at outlook.com
Tue Jan 31 11:06:34 PST 2017

Since wrestling was mentioned I feel like I have to comment.  First I agree that Peter should continue to work on his jump shot.  I also think that it is wise for athletes to minimize their public pronouncements on political issues.  I can certainly understand why Peter did tweet on this and have no issue with him using his private account to share his views.   However I think it is a different issue when he is being interviewed as a member of the University of Iowa basketball team. I would hope, if asked about this after the game tonight, that he would deflect and quickly turn it back to basketball.  Sports is one of the few areas where people of all views can join together. This board is an example of it. But if we started talking politics all the time this board would probably implode.  I for one hope that Iowa sports stays a place where I can watch games and interviews, read articles about the team, and come on here and discuss it all free from the politics and constant fighting that I see everywhere else.

Jeff- I am not sure I would say Iowa is treading water.  I think Iowa is actually heading in the right direction but I think it is going to take a few years to get there. Since Cael went to PSU things have changed.  I was  looking at the current PSU line-up and I think everyone but one was the top ranked guy at their weight coming out of high school.  Seven of them (if I remember correctly) were ranked in the top 10 p4p rankings.  I think Iowa has two guys on their roster who was are top 10 p4p and one is redshirting.  You cannot compete consistently against the type of talent PSU is getting with a roster of top 25-100 type guys which is what Iowa has. But it looks like Brands is changing strategy (or just doing a better job of recruiting). He has a top p4p in each of the last two classes (Kemmerer and Marineli). Next year he has two in Lee and Wagner. The year after he has one already in Teasdale.  This still does not get Iowa to PSU's level but it closes the gap.