[Herky] Controversial Call Costs Iowa

Larry Edwards larryed6124 at knology.net
Thu Feb 9 06:11:25 PST 2017

https://allhawkeyes.com/pages/story/details/2041

"

Minnesota hung on for a 101-89 double-overtime victory in a game that had 18 lead changes, 14 ties and one controversial call that will haunt Iowa fans forever.

It came when Iowa guard Brady Ellingson got trapped on his own baseline with 20.3 seconds remaining in regulation, and with Iowa leading 77-75. Ellingson appeared to call for a timeout, as did at least two of his teammates, but the officials apparently didn’t see them.

Nor did the officials see that Minnesota forward Jordan Murphy was standing with his left foot on the baseline when he helped to force Ellingson into a jump ball and a change of possession.

Minnesota guard Nate Mason then made a basket with 8.4 seconds remaining to force the game into overtime.

Iowa, which trailed by 14 points in the second half, had plenty of chances to seize the momentum in both overtimes, but couldn’t get the job done against a Minnesota team that was desperate for a victory.

The reaction on social media was harsh towards the officials, with many Hawkeye fans saying that one call cost Iowa the game.

Iowa coach Fran McCaffery didn’t say anything specific about the officiating on his post-game radio show, but he was clearly upset and frustrated with more than just losing.

“Let’s just say there are a lot of things that I’m upset about right now,” McCaffery said without being more specific. “But the effort of our guys is certainly not one of them. I couldn’t be more proud.”

Iowa could send a tape of the controversial call, or no-call depending on your side of things, to the Big Ten Office. But what good would that do?

It might cause some discomfort for the officials, but it won’t change Wednesday’s result."