[Herky] Iowa OL James Daniels provides lesson in perspective

Sue Bailey minburnsb at gmail.com
Tue Sep 27 16:15:08 PDT 2016

  Iowa OL James Daniels provides lesson in perspective

    Hawkeyes' center told story of a high school teammate who was shot
    in the head to downplay his return from knee surgery

<http://www.reddit.com/submit>
Brothers LeShun Daniels (29), left, and James Daniels (78) during the
Iowa football media day at the Kenyon practice facility in Iowa City on
Saturday, August 6, 2016. (Cliff Jette/The Gazette)

Sep 27, 2016 at 5:16 pm | Print View

IOWA CITY — James Daniels wasn’t super talkative on Tuesday at Iowa’s
weekly media availability. He was focused ahead, on the Hawkeyes’
upcoming matchup with Northwestern for Homecoming on Saturday.

But in response to a question about how he’s recovered from surgery for
a partially torn meniscus, what seemed like a nonchalant mention of an
old friend from high school’s much worse circumstances revealed quite a
bit about the 19-year-old’s perspective on life.

“For my knee, I can’t really complain about it because the day before I
hurt my knee, one of my friends back home, one of my teammates, he got
shot in his head,” Daniels said. “So I’d rather have surgery to get my
knee fixed than get surgery to get a bullet out of my head. I can’t
complain about it.”

Daniels, who along with his brother LeShun Daniels Jr. played at Harding
High School in Warren, Ohio, was referring to former teammate Elijah
Cofield. Cofield was shot on Sept. 7 and rushed to Trumbull Memorial
Hospital in Warren to have the aforementioned surgery. James said
Tuesday Cofield is “doing fine now.”

The Hawkeyes’ starting center also downplayed the impact his friend’s
situation had on him, saying simply, “it really doesn’t change me at all.”

Maybe that’s because who he is as a person and how he was raised put him
in a position to be able to cope with dire circumstances — his own or
someone else’s — and be able to keep a level head.

His brother, who knows Cofield, just not as well as James does, said the
shooting was a big deal for everyone back home and James’ perspective on
it reflects how he feels, too. LeShun even related it to Matt
VandeBerg’s injured foot — though with the caveat of seriousness of
injury tossed in there, to be sure.

“It says that (he knows) you can’t take anything for granted,” LeShun
said. “You’re going out in practice or in lifting sessions, that you’re
giving it your all so that on Saturdays you’re not wasting any reps. You
only get so many opportunities, and they can get taken away from you
just like that. That’s the perspective he has on it and a lot of us have
on it.”

The Daniels brothers’ view and the maturity with which they’ve handled
all manner of injuries can be traced back to youth.

Their high school coach at Harding, Steven Arnold, had LeShun for his
senior year and James for his last three years of high school. In a
phone interview with The Gazette on Tuesday, Arnold said how their
parents, LeShun Sr. and Alice, raised them has a lot to do with that.

It’s always gratifying for a former coach to see success on the field in
former players, but in hearing what James had to say about Cofield’s
situation, Arnold was even more proud of his former lineman. Arnold said
James’ maturation took him from a young man who didn’t have the best
work ethic to someone who could be special and didn’t want to waste a
chance.

A mindset like that is about all you can ask for, he said.

“James’ perspective on life (is), when you talk about having a former
teammate shot in the head, and James is going through knee surgery —
that tells you how precious life is,” Arnold said. “He’s going for
surgery and a former teammate is getting a bullet removed from his head.
James keeps everything in perspective. That’s James.”

Add Kirk Ferentz to the list of people proud to hear James Daniels’ take
on his friend’s surgery.

In Ferentz’s now 18 years at the helm of the Iowa program, he’s
encouraged players to find perspective in a few different ways —
notably, visiting the children’s hospital across the street from Kinnick
Stadium and other patients at the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics.

Ferentz even alluded to the flooding in Cedar Rapids in an effort to
make the point that while football injuries like James’ or VandeBerg’s
are difficult to deal with, they’re not as dire as they can be made out
to be. James saying what he said about his friend was the perfect example.

“We can all cry about things, geez, my coffee is too cold or it’s not
the right brand or whatever. We’ve all got a pretty good deal here,”
Ferentz said. “I’d much rather be trying to get ready for a game, make a
couple first downs or stop a couple as opposed to sandbagging (for the
flood).

“I always try to remind our players all the time that we all do this, A,
because we choose to, and secondly, because we’re able to. We’re pretty
lucky. We’re playing games as opposed to some things that could be
really serious.”

MANY HAPPY RETURNS

Iowa may have been dealt a blow with the Matt VandeBerg news, but they
did get a few backups and role players back to practice this week,
coming off injuries.

Coach Kirk Ferentz said Tuesday running back Derrick Mitchell is back
practicing and that “(Monday) and (Tuesday) he practiced full speed but
in the backfield.” Mitchell’s presence in pass protection has been
something Iowa has missed while he’s been out.

Wide receiver Jonathan Parker is also back full speed. Ferentz said,
“(Parker) got a lot of good work in last week, but it’s been a gradual
progression, and hopefully he’ll be able to be with us sooner than later.”

Additionally, Ferentz said defensive lineman Michael Slater and tight
end Jon Wisnieski are back practicing. Ferentz added defensive lineman
Jake Hulett is “out of his cast, but he’s still weeks away from actually
being able to do something here.”

CAPTAINS STAY THE SAME

A week ago, Iowa Coach Kirk Ferentz caught people’s attention with a
change in captains for the Rutgers game, notably because cornerback
Desmond King was no longer among them.

Ferentz announced Tuesday at his weekly availability the captains for
the Northwestern game would remain quarterback C.J. Beathard, running
back LeShun Daniels, linebacker Josey Jewell and wide receiver Matt
VandeBerg, who stays despite his foot injury.

Ferentz said last week there was no specific reason for the change.