[Herky] Clemmons swipes Hawks back into it

Sue Bailey minburnsb at gmail.com
Sat Mar 19 05:00:33 PDT 2016

Clemmons swipes Hawks back into it

By Scott Dochterman,The GazetteBROOKLYN, N.Y. - Iowa guard Anthony
Clemmons threw his hands, clenched his lips and shook his head.

With 2.1 seconds left, Clemmons reached straight up and hit Temple guard
Quenton De-Cosey's arm during a 3-point attempt in a three-point game.
DeCosey sank all three free throws to tie the score and send the NCAA
tournament first-round game into overtime.

But when his team needed him, Clemmons came through.

With the Hawkeyes trailing by two in overtime, the senior swiped DeCosey
at the freethrow line and triggered a fastbreak that ended with a layup
and a free throw by teammate Peter Jok. That gave Iowa a one-point lead
in an eventual 72-70 victory Friday.

'I knew I had to make up for the foul that I did,' Clemmons said. 'That
was the best way. It pretty much takes disrespect when somebody
(isolates) you at the top of the key. I knew if I wasn't going to get a
steal, I was going to get a contested shot. I'm glad I did my part, got
a breakout and an and-one on that.' 'I was thrilled for him,' Iowa Coach
Fran McCaffery said of Clemmons. 'Nobody felt worse than he did on the
last play of regulation. For him to make a huge steal, which really was
a momentumshift in overtime, and then make a free throw and play defense
...' Clemmons finished with six points, six assists, five rebounds, two
steals and no turnovers in 36 minutes. The steal and dish to Jok was as
pivotal as any play in the game. But afterward, he still thought about
fouling De-Cosey.

'I wanted to make it as tough as possible,' Clemmons said. 'He has a
funky release. So I wasn't expecting ... I fouled the guy. I admitted it
to Coach, I did. But you've got to give that guy credit. He came up and
knocked three straight free throws down in a clutch situation. Big ups
to him, he's a great player. He's got a lot ofrespect from me.' On the
Clemmons' steal, Iowa center Adam Woodbury barked out the defense, which
left Clemmons at the top without help.

Clemmons defended De-Cosey, who started right and switched the ball to
his left hand. Clemmons poked with his right hand to knock the ball
loose, then sprinted up the court with Jok at his left. Clemmons passed
to Jok, who scored and was fouled.

'I take pride in defense and that's what I do,' Clemmons said. 'I just
wanted to make a play and make up for the foul I had before. I got the
steal.'

•Comments: (319) 339-3169; scott. dochterman at thegazette.com
<mailto:dochterman at thegazette.com>

Temple guard Quenton DeCosey (left) is fouled by Iowa guard Anthony
Clemmons (5) during the final seconds of regulation of a first-round
NCAA men's basketball tournament game Friday at the Barclays Center in
Brooklyn, N.Y.