[Herky] One Shining Moment

Sue Bailey minburnsb at gmail.com
Sat Mar 19 04:45:52 PDT 2016

IOWA BASKETBALL

ONE SHINING MOMENT

Woodbury’s buzzer-beater propels Iowa to Round 2

By Scott Dochterman,The GazetteBROOKLYN, N.Y. — Adam Woodbury’s one
shining moment was aired live, in color and it was imperfectlyperfect
for the IowaHawkeyes.

Inside of a second remainingin overtime, Iowa’s 7-foot-1 center put
backguard Mike Gesell’s miss at the buzzer to push seventh seeded Iowa
to a 72-70 win against No. 10 seed Temple in a first-round NCAA
tournament game Friday afternoon. The win was only the program’s second
in overtime in 55 NCAA games and vaults the Hawkeyes (22-10) into a
second-round matchup with No. 2 seed Villanova (30-5) on Sunday.

Iowa teammates instantly mobbed Woodbury as heturned toward the bench.
He didn’t have time to lift his arms before he was swarmed. It’s the
buzzer beater that will air on CBS’ “One Shining Moment” after the title
game and the play that will precede Woodbury every time Sioux City
native walks into a building for the rest of his life.

“We gave him the game ball, and I’m sure he’ll cherish that for the rest
of his life,” Iowa Coach Fran Mc-Caffery said.

“I know it’s a moment he’ll never forget, and it’s a moment I’ll never
forget,” Gesell said.

In a game that changed leads 11 times, including twice in overtime, the
final sequence opened with 22 seconds left. Temple forward Daniel Dingle
missed the front end of a one-and-one, and Gesell took the ball

Iowa center Adam Woodbury puts back the buzzer-beating tip-in at the
horn in overtime against Temple during a first-round game of the NCAA
men’s basketball tournament Friday at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn,
N.Y. Iowa won, 72-70, and will face Villanova on Sunday at 11:10 a.m.

Cliff Jette/The Gazette

down the floor. He first tried to find guard Peter Jok, who was tightly
guarded. Gesell dribbled to his right and with about two seconds left,
he threw up a high, arcing shot just past Temple guard Josh Brown. The
ball landed short, just in front of the rim. Woodbury positioned for the
rebound, nudged Temple's Obi Enechionyia out of the way and quickly
tipped the ball toward the basket. The ball bounced gently off the back
of the rim and rolled through the net as the lights flashed around the
backboard.

'Fortunately the ball bounced right to me and I was able to put it in,'
said Woodbury, who finished with 10 points and five rebounds. 'I was in
the right place at the right time.' As he sat in his locker and broke
down the play, Woodbury pointed to his left biceps, which had a
significant scrape. His nose was red and swollen.

'Every time the ball came off the glass, it was like a fumble in
football,' he said. 'Everybody was diving on the floor, going over each
other's backs. They weren't calling a lot of fouls in that sense.' The
game was rough and physical, just as advertised. Temple (21-12) is a
hardscrabble team from Philadelphia and Iowa is hardened from a season
in the Big Ten. The teams combined to shoot just 11 of 46 from 3-point
range, and Iowa missed 19 of its final 213-pointers. Iowa tied a
season-low with only three turnovers, but Temple out-rebounded the
Hawkeyes 49-38.

After missing its first four shots of the game, Iowa then connected on
its next seven. The Hawkeyes led 32-20 midway through the first half
before Temple took a 33-32 lead on a 13-0 run. Iowa regained the
advantage and led 38-37 at halftime.

Iowa stormed to a 10-point lead early in the second half, but Temple
stayed within range the rest of the game.

With 8.8 seconds left, Jok was fouled and sank one of two free throws to
boost Iowa ahead 6360. Six seconds later, DeCosey launched a game-tying
attempt from 3-point range, but he was fouled by Iowa's Anthony
Clemmons. DeCosey hit all three free throws to send the game into overtime.

In a situation where Iowa has struggled over the years, the last
possession became their sanctuary. Iowa was 2-6 this year in games
decided by five points or less. Over the last three years when Iowa had
the ball in a game-tying or game winning situation with 11 seconds left
or less, the Hawkeyes were 2 of 15from the field with four turnovers.
Iowa hadn't hit a buzzer-beater since 2008.

The last play almost became another statistic. Instead it became one
shining moment.

'It's something I'llnever forget,' Woodbury said. 'It's something I can
tell my kids and grandkids about, and I'm just happy we're moving on.'

•Comments: (319) 339-3169; scott.dochterman at thegazette.com
<mailto:scott.dochterman at thegazette.com>

Iowa forward Jarrod Uthoff (left) passes the ball around Temple forward
Jaylen Bond during a first-round game of the NCAA men's basketball
tournament at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn, N.Y. Iowa won, 72-70, to
advance to the second round.

Iowa guard Mike Gesell (left) and forward Nicholas Baer (right)
celebrate after their overtime victory over Temple during a first-round
game of the NCAA men's basketball tournament Friday at the Barclays
Center in Brooklyn, N.Y.

Cliff Jette photos/The Gazette