[Herky] Time To Change the Subject With Adam Woodbury

Dennis v dvanlangen at verizon.net
Mon Jan 25 08:02:57 PST 2016

I have criticized Woodbury over the years, mainly because of his poor offensive production.  He also had defensive lapses and had a difficult time against some of the tall and bulky post players in the Big Ten. He was never much of a rebounder, considering his height.

But this year, he has made significant improvement in all three performance areas, especially defense and rebounding.  He is getting great defensive positioning on the block and is not intimidated by the heftier and aggressive players down low.  He has an edge to him that shows mental toughness.  He is also the best on-court communicator when the Hawkeyes are playing zone defenses.  During the Rutgers game, he was constantly yelling out instructions to his teammates to get defensive positioning.  It would have been great if all these improvements could have been made in previous years, but I guess it took the big guy a little more time to improve.

I like what I see from Woodbury this year, and he could be the X factor in the big games in March (maybe early April too!).

Dennis v.

p.s. And one eye poke this season!    Take that Dakich.