[Herky] Freshman Megan Gustafson helps Iowa Hawkeyes deny Illini rally, 61-56

Sue Bailey minburnsb at gmail.com
Sun Feb 28 07:09:51 PST 2016

  Freshman Megan Gustafson helps Iowa Hawkeyes deny Illini rally, 61-56

    Hawkeyes will be an eight or nine seed in Thursday's Big Ten
    tournament opener

<http://www.reddit.com/submit>
View Slideshown

Iowa center Megan Gustafson (10) scores past Illinois guard Sarah
Hartwell (0) in a NCAA women's basketball game at Carver-Hawkeye Arena
in Iowa City on Saturday, Feb. 27, 2016. (Adam Wesley/The Gazette)

Douglas Miles

The Gazette

<https://twitter.com/douglasmilesCRG> <mailto:douglas.miles at thegazette.com>

More stories from
Douglas<http://www.thegazette.com/section/blogs?staffID=dmiles>

Feb 27, 2016 at 8:47 pm | Print View

IOWA CITY – With Iowa’s regular season now officially in the rearview
mirror, the only question left for Sunday is who to pack the home or
road jerseys for in Thursday’s Big Ten women’s basketball tournament game.

Iowa clinched at least a No. 9 seed in the conference tournament after
holding off a furious Illinois rally and prevailing, 61-56, before 4,610
fans Saturday on Senior Night at Carver-Hawkeye Arena.

“We’re glad to get the win today,” Iowa Coach Lisa Bluder said. “It was
obviously a game of momentum.”

Iowa (18-12, 8-10 Big Ten) could move up a spot to No. 8 if Northwestern
pulls an upset Sunday at Nebraska. The Hawkeyes are locked into the
8-versus-9 game – most likely against Nebraska or Michigan – Thursday at
11 a.m. at Bankers Life Fieldhouse in Indianapolis, Ind. Win there, and
sixth-ranked Maryland (25-3) awaits in a Friday quarterfinal.

“You know it’s a brand new season, right?,” Bluder said. “Anything can
happen. We want to go into that Big Ten tournament and do as well as we
can.”

Whether or not two wins in Indianapolis – which would give them 20
overall and include one over a top-10 team – would be enough for Iowa to
secure an NCAA tournament berth for the 10th year in a row is uncertain.
Either way, the Hawkeyes will need to avoid the types of offensive
droughts that nearly derailed them Saturday.

Iowa closed the third quarter with 16 straight points and possessed an
18-point lead with just over seven minutes to play, but scored just six
fourth-quarter points and saw its lead whittled down to one at 57-56
with 1:06 left.

“That’s kind of been the story for us,” Bluder said. “We’re a game of
momentum, game of swings. When we’re hitting from 3, we’re really
rolling. But when we’re not hitting from 3, we keep shooting them and we
shot too many today.”

Freshman Megan Gustafson delivered a bucket around Illinois center
Chatrice White with 45 seconds to play to give the Hawkeyes a 59-56
lead, then two free throws from sophomore Chase Coley sealed victory 30
seconds later.

“I just got the ball and I kind of felt that she (White) was on a
different side,” Gustafson said. “I just turned to the middle and kind
of felt the confidence and that was important.”

Coley finished with 10 points, her ninth double-figure scoring effort in
the last 12 games. With a team-high 16 points and 10 rebounds, Gustafson
recorded a double-double for the seventh time in 10 games, nine of which
she scored in double figures.

White displayed immense offensive skill that belied her sophomore
status. She led all scorers with 29 points, and added 11 rebounds for
Illinois (9-20, 2-16).

“It was a little bit different for me guarding her (White) because she
is an outside shooter,” Gustafson said. “I’m used to being physical down
in the post, so I thought it was really nice to go against that and see
what I could do out there.”

Sophomore Whitney Jennings totaled 14 points with four 3-pointers, while
Ally Disterhoft added 13. Guard Alexa Kastanek distributed a career-high
seven assists, and Iowa maintained a 44-31 rebounding advantage.

l Comments: douglas.miles at thegazette.com