[Herky] Iowa, Barta agree to extension

Sue Bailey minburnsb at gmail.com
Thu Feb 18 04:44:22 PST 2016

Iowa, Barta agree to extension

Despite ongoing courtroom battles, Harreld backs AD

By Marc Morehouse,The GazetteIOWA CITY - The dichotomy of Iowa Athletics
Director Gary Barta's last year came to the ultimate head on Wednesday.

According to UI documents, Barta and UI President Bruce Harreld agreed
to a five-year contract extension effective Jan. 1, 2016. Barta's base
salary will increase from $400,000 to $550,000 in July. The deal also
guarantees $250,000 in annual deferred compensation. Both amounts
increase by $50,000 in 2018.

Barta's contract with Iowa was set to expire June 30, 2016.

While Iowa football climbed the rankings last fall, the UI athletics
department also found itself in court with former employees in addition
to a U.S. Department of Education investigation for alleged Title IX
violations.

So, the news of a contract extension is up for your interpretation.
There have been a lot of great accomplishments and a lot of lawyering up
with Iowa athletics in the last year.

'Director Barta is a longtime member of the University of Iowa family
and extending his contract was the right thing to do,' Harreld said in a
statement Wednesday. 'He and the entire athletics department are
committed to the success of our student-athletes both on the field of
play and in the classroom.' Also in a statement, Barta said, 'My family
and I have been blessed to be back in Iowa these past 10 years. We have
incredible coaches, staff, student-athletes, and fans. I'm grateful to
Bruce Harreld for showing his confidence in us, and allowing us to be a
part of his team going forward. The best is yet to come.' Iowa football
was a smash hit in 2015. Iowa men's basketball also is on a run that
could end up being historic.

Barta withstood a heavy dose of criticism and complaints from the Iowa
fan base when he decided after a disappointing 2014 football season

Gary Barta

Iowa AD

- including a 7-6 record and losses in the final three games - to stick
with head coach Kirk Ferentz.

That resolution paid off with Ferentz and the Hawkeyes rebounding to a
12-0 regular season, a school record for victories and Iowa's first
perfect season since 1922, Iowa's first postseason appearance in the Big
Ten championship game and the school's first Rose Bowl since 1991.

In men's basketball, the Hawkeyes are ranked No. 4 by the Associated
Press and No. 5 by the USA Today coaches poll. The Hawkeyes were 20-5
heading into Wednesday night's game at Penn State. Iowa is in first
place in the Big Ten standings and in the running forthe school's first
regular season conference championship since 1979.

Off the field, the UI is facing criticism about gender discrimination
from a former female coach and student-athletes.

Four UI field hockey players and former players filed a federal civil
rights complaint in January 2015 against the UI alleging their rights to
gender equity were violated when the UI fired coach Tracey Griesbaum in
August 2014.

Griesbaum has also filed a complaint with the Iowa Civil Rights
Commission alleging discrimination based on gender and sexual orientation.

The U.S. Department of Education has continued its investigation with
Iowa athletics department for alleged Title IX violations in connection
with the Griesbaum firing. Also, Griesbaum's partner, former UI senior
associate athletics director Jane Meyer, was transferred from the
athletics department to facilities last December and has filed a lawsuit
accusing the school of gender discrimination and retaliation. Griesbaum
also is expected to file a lawsuit.

The first hint of Barta's standing with Harreld came during Iowa's Rose
Bowl trip to California.

Harreld told The Gazette of Barta and Ferentz: 'They are long-term
members of our family, and I intend to keep it that way.' He added that
the two have 'never been on thin ice with me.'

•Comments: (319) 398-8256; marc.morehouse at thegazette.com
<mailto:marc.morehouse at thegazette.com>