[Herky] Uthoff: Woodbury relentless on glass

Sue Bailey minburnsb at gmail.com
Thu Feb 4 11:31:10 PST 2016

Uthoff: Woodbury relentless on glass

By Scott Dochterman,

The Gazette

IOWA CITY - Adam Woodbury tried his 'aw shucks' routine when confronted
with his statistics last night. But this time, it didn't work for the
Iowa center.

Woodbury grabbed a career-high 15 rebounds in the Hawkeyes' 73-49 win
against Penn State at Carver-Hawkeye Arena. He had 10 by halftime and
played just five minutes in the second half.

'I was fortunate the ball bounced my way a couple of times and they
missed some shots,' said Woodbury, a senior. 'I got in the right place
at the right time.' Teammate Jarrod Uthoff didn't buy Woodbury's
deprecation.

'He's just got a knack for rebounding,' Uthoff said. 'He's huge. He's 7
foot, he's physical, he plays physical and he's accepted that role. He's
our guy that gets on the boards every time. He's relentless.' Penn State
is known for its aggressive rebounders, but Woodbury held off his
opponents. Twice he hauled in defensive boards as Iowa built a one-point
lead to 10. Then nine consecutive Penn State possessions ended with
either a Woodbury rebound (five) or a bucket (four).

'He was spectacular all night long because they were hard-earned traffic
rebounds,' Iowa Coach Fran McCaffery said. 'That's the thingabout Penn
State. They are coming after the ball when it comes off the rim, so you
have to be able to get traffic rebounds and be strong with the ball,
because even if you get it, they are going to come after it.' 'It's
something I pride myself on, trying to set a tone down low,' Woodbury
said. 'It was a battle of wills down there, and I'm happy we came out on
top.

Woodbury has pulled down at least 10 rebounds in four of Iowa's last
five games. The other was a nine rebound performance against Northwestern.

'Woodbury is playing at a high level,' Penn State Coach Patrick Chambers
said. 'He's a big body. He plays so hard and tough and physical. We had
to play harder than that.'

•Comments: (319) 339-3169; scott.dochterman at thegazette.com
<mailto:scott.dochterman at thegazette.com>

Iowa center Adam Woodbury is fouled by Penn State Nittany Lions guard
Devin Foster (left) as he goes to the hoop during the first half last
night at Carver-Hawkeye Arena in Iowa City.

Jim Slosiarek photos/The Gazette

Iowa's Andrew Fleming (2) and Christian Williams (right) react after a
Hawkeye three pointer against Penn State last night at Carver-Hawkeye
Arena in Iowa City. Iowa won, 73-49.