[Herky] Really, really great in Iowa City

SRINIVAS REDDY hawkeye_fan at hotmail.com
Wed Feb 3 07:49:53 PST 2016

Sue,I will take one :-)Thank you.

To: herky at lists.herky.net
From: minburnsb at gmail.com
Date: Wed, 3 Feb 2016 07:18:38 -0600
Subject: [Herky] Really, really great in Iowa City

     I will try to get extra
        copies, anyone want one???  Sue

    'Really, really great' in
        Iowa City
     SI cover just another perk of
        being a Hawkeye
     By Scott Dochterman, The Gazette IOWA
        CITY - Jarrod Uthoff saw the image earlier in the day. Adam
        Woodbury had not. Mike Gesell saw the back of his head. Anthony
        Clemmons didn't see anything until a reporter showed him.
     'Holy Buckets,' Clemmons
        said, reading the 'Sports Illustrated' headline. 'Good thing we're defending somebody.' The Iowa
        basketball program, which tumbled to a school-worst 10-22 season
        in 2010 before Iowa Coach Fran McCaffery arrived on campus, now
        adorns the regional cover of the nation's foremost sporting
        magazine.
     It's the first time since
        1966 the Hawkeyes landed on the cover. As expected, players and
        coaches had different reactions to the publicity.
     The cover photo and story,
        which is written by Brian Hamilton,
        features Uthoff, who leads the Big Ten in scoring at 18.6 points
        per game.
     Uthoff has ignited a
        basketball program on the verge of a third straight NCAA berth,
        something the program hasn't done since the 1991 through 1993
        seasons.
     An Iowa coach informed Uthoff
        via text that he is on the cover. But you'd never know it based
        on his response.
     'It was pretty neat,' Uthoff
      said with little inflection in his
        voice.

     The Iowa Hawkeyes return to
        the cover of 'Sports Illustrated' for the second time in the
        2015-16 academic year, with the basketball team making its first
        appearance since 1966.

    But when asked about what he thought about
      being on the cover, Uthoff perked up.
     'To me it's about us,' Uthoff
        said. 'It's about the Hawkeyes and what we've accomplished as a
        team. It's nothing about what I've done as an individual. I
        think we've come a long way with this program, this year. People
        predicted us at the bottom of the Big Ten, and we've proven we
        can play with anyone.' That's the kind of response Woodbury
        figured Uthoff would give.
     'I'm sure when you guys asked
        him about it, he didn't care,' Woodbury said. 'That's a part of
        his deal.' Iowa (17-4, 8-1 Big Ten) entered Tuesday tied with
        Indiana atop the league standings and ranked fifth by the
        Associated Press and seventh by the USA Today/Coaches poll.
     It's been a gradual climb
        upward for the program under McCaffery. In his first season,
        Iowa finished 11-20. Following two consecutive NIT berths, the
        Hawkeyes have reached the last two NCAA tournaments. Last year,
        Iowa won its first NCAA tournament game since 2001.
     The surge from irrelevance to
        NCAA title contender is not lost on
        McCaffery. He remains focused on Iowa's next game tonight
        against Penn State (1111, 2-7) - but he appreciates the
        recognition.
     'It's a reflection of what
        they've accomplished,' McCaffery said. 'I think you always want
        that to be the case for your guys. When you see them working as
        hard as our guys work, you want to see them recognized properly,
        so I think it's a terrific honor. Great respect for that
        publication, and we're happy to be on it.' It's the second time
        in barely two months Iowa athletics has graced Sports
        Illustrated. In late November, Iowa tight end George Kittle was
        featured on the cover as the football
        program finished the regular season unbeaten. The school
        previously never had both sports on SI covers in one athletic
        school year.
     'It shows that we've continued
        to get better and better every year,' Gesell said. 'I think that
        we've done a tremendous job of not letting that get to any of
        our heads and just staying level and getting better every day.
        It's cool to have that national recognition, especially with the
        season football had and now the season we're having.
     'It's really, really great to
        be a Hawkeye right now.'
        Comments: (319) 339-3169; scott. dochterman at thegazette.com