[Herky] 5 factors shaped Iowa's '16 class

Sue Bailey minburnsb at gmail.com
Wed Feb 3 05:10:46 PST 2016

5 factors shaped Iowa's '16 class

Hawkeyes looking to avoid getting Harbaugh'd

By Marc Morehouse,

The Gazette

Iowa is running out of tight ends. It's not an emergency and they don't
have to open a new drilling site, but you know how Kirk Ferentz likes to
roll with lots of two tight end formations. More specifically, Iowa is
kind of running out of 'move' tight ends, the ones who can get vertical
and punish defenseswho try to cover them with linebackers. That's George
Kittle's role for 2016, but he's a senior.

Maybe sophomore Jameer Outsey can grow into that kind of a role.

And who knows about some of the young, unproven players down the depth
chart, including red-shirt freshman Nate Vejvoda.

This is why Iowa will sign at least three tight ends with impressive
resumes when the national signing period begins this morning.

Cedar Rapids Kennedy's Shaun Beyer, Noah Fant (Omaha, Neb.) and
Chariton's T.J. Hockenson are all 6-5 with Beyer and Fant weighing in at
210 and Hockenson at 230. Each has a 3-star rating from Rivals.com
<http://cedarrapidsgazette.ia.newsmemory.com/eebrowser/ipad/html5.check.1805/#>
and has an impressive list of credentials.

Cedar Rapids Kennedy's Shaun Beyer, seen here leaping over a North Scott
defender during a playoff game last fall at Kingston Stadium, is one of
three tight ends joining the Hawkeyes as part of their 2016 recruiting
class.

Jim Slosiarek/The Gazette

Need(1)was a factor for Iowa's 2016 class. It is in every class. Along
with 'move' tight end, defensive end was arguably the biggest need for
the Hawkeyes, who should sign 25 players today (barring some late
drama). Five defensive ends will sign, including Detroit duo Chauncey
Golston (65, 235) and Cedrick Lattimore (6-4, 251), both of whom played
at East English Village (all-American cornerback Desmond King's alma mater).

Joining Golston and Lattimore at defensive end are Romeo McKnight (6-5,
230), Austin Schulte (6-4, 250) and Brandon Simon (6-1, 236).

Defensive end isn't a pressing need with sophomores Parker Hesse (who
started nine games as a red-shirt freshman) and Matt Nelson slotted as
starters, but depth and competition are needed.

'We have three years with both those players and they have got all the
right stuff,' head coach Kirk Ferentz said, comparing defensive end to
where offensive tackle was last season with two new starters.

•The accelerated recruiting timeline(2)certainly kept the Hawkeyes from
cashing in on a 12-0 regular season and their first Rose Bowl appearance
in 25 years. Iowa went into the season with 20-some commitments and
really had no room to grow with the cap set at 25.

The flip side is the 2017 class is well aware of 12-0 and Rose Bowl and
that has started to pay off. Iowa already has five commitments for 2017,
led by 4-star defensive lineman A.J. Epenesa.

'There are more eyes and there is more interest, whether it be traffic
on social media, which is what's really driving recruiting these days,
or wherever,' assistant coach Seth Wallace said during Rose Bowl week.
'In the near future, we're going to be faced with amuch larger pool of
candidates.'

•You started to see the new Hansen Football Performance Center(3)have an
influence in recruiting last season. That has continued with the 2016
class. The program moved into the new $55 million facility last summer.
The building is now fully operational with everything from massive
doit-all weightroom to eye-popping graphics to a heated room that dries
gear and kills bacteria.

'When I first came here, they asked me to go out to lunch with a donor,'
offensive coordinator Greg Davis said. 'He asked me a really good
question. Those guys who make a lot of money, they're smart. And he
said, 'You tell me why you need a new facility.' I said, 'Well, we can
coach them in a barn once we get them, but we can't get them to a barn.'
'They need to see commitment. They need to see bricks and mortar. That's
part of recruiting now.'

•The search for speed(4)has become a factor in recent recruiting classes
and has had varyingdegrees of success. The most noticeable year was
2013, when Iowa signed 10 wide receivers, defensive backs and a few
running backs whose obvious best trait was speed. Just three of those
players will line up for Iowa next season - wide receivers Matt
VandeBerg and Jonathan Parker and running backs Akrum Wadley and Derrick
Mitchell Jr. In 2014-15, Iowa signed seven potential speed players,
including cornerback Josh Jackson and wide receivers Jerminic Smith,
Adrian Falconer and Emmanuel Ogwo.

This year, seven players fit this profile and any one of them could
potentially make a splash next fall. The best candidate might be running
back Toks Akinribade, a 6-0, 205-pounder who holds the Brownsburg (Ind.)
High School 100-meter dash record at 10.97 seconds.

•Iowa could potentially feel last-minute heartbreak caused by Michigan
Coach Jim Harbaugh(5). Detroit Renaissance offensive tackle Alaric
Jackson (6-7, 285) was set to commit to Iowa on Monday, but Michigan
came in with a late offer, according to Rivals. com. Jackson, a 3-star
recruit, postponed his news conference.

Jackson will announce this morning. He could be No. 25 for Iowa's 2016
class or another eye gouge from Harbaugh.

But when Harbaugh poached running back Karan Higdon last season, Ferentz
barely flinched during his signing day news conference.

'You just deal with it. If you could draw the script, you'd rather find
out (sooner rather than later),' he said. 'In a perfect world you'd
rather find out. If it's going to be 'no,' you'd rather find out sooner
than later, but the world is not perfect, and you deal with it.' Or
maybe Jackson sticks with Iowa. Maybe. You never know.

•Comments: (319) 398-8256; marc. morehouse at thegazette.com
<mailto:morehouse at thegazette.com>

Iowa football recruit A.J. Epenesa (left) - seen with his father Epenesa
Epenesa, a former Iowa football player, at Carver-Hawkeye Arena on Jan.
17 - is one of five players already committed for 2017.

Cliff Jette/The Gazette