[Herky] Milo Hamilton, RIP

James Kusack kusack at cox.net
Thu Sep 17 14:21:50 PDT 2015

On Sep 17, 2015, at 5:07 PM, Alan Kline <alan at snugglebunny.us> wrote:

> Just heard on CBS Radio: sportscaster Milo Hamilton has passed away. Didn't catch the cause of death or his age.
>
> Milo was a journeyman sportscaster whose teams included the Chicago Cubs. IIRC, he was a UI alumnus.

HOUSTON (KTRK) -- Eyewitness Sports has learned Hall of Fame broadcaster Milo Hamilton, who called Houston Astros games for decades, has passed away. He was 88 years old.

Hamilton retired from broadcasting after the 2012 season, ending a career that spanned 67 years, including 50 of those in the Major Leagues.

PHOTOS: Hall of Fame broadcaster Milo Hamilton

Milo Hamilton behind the mic at an Astros game. AP

Before joining the Astros in 1985, Hamilton spent time calling games for the Cardinals (1954), Cubs (1955-57, 1980-84), White Sox (1961-65), Braves (1966-74) and Pirates (1975-79).

He called Hand Aaron's historic record-breaking 715th home run in 1974. He also called 11 no-hitters, Nolan Ryan's 4,000th strikeout and Barry Bonds' 70th home run in 2001.

Astros president Reid Ryan released the following statement on Hamilton's passing.

"Today, the entire Astros family and many throughout the baseball world are mourning the loss of our friend, Milo Hamilton. For decades, Milo had a special connection with the Houston community, bringing Astros baseball to the cars and homes of fans throughout the great state of Texas and beyond. During his legendary career, we enjoyed the privilege of Milo calling some of the greatest moments in Astros history. In addition to his great work in the booth, Milo was also an outstanding ambassador for Astros baseball, a mantle he carried with a great deal of pride. While we mourn his sad passing, we should also celebrate Milo's long, wonderful career. He was one of the all-time greats and a true icon whose contributions to the game and beyond will be remembered always. "

Former President George H.W. Bush issued the following statement on Hamilton's passing.

"Barbara and I mourn the loss of Milo Hamilton, a genuine baseball icon, a Hall of Fame sportscaster - and, happily for us, a good friend. In time, Milo was so endeared he became his own Houston institution, and the countless good causes he helped made him one of the brightest Points of Light we knew. It was hard for him, and indeed all Astros fans, when he stepped away from the booth in 2012 after his legendary career, but from this day forward we can take comfort that he will always have the best seat in the house. Holy Toledo, what a good man he was - and we were fortunate to know him."

In 1992, he was given the Ford C. Frick Award, presented annually by the Baseball Hall of Fame for excellence in broadcasting.