[Herky] Wrestling

Jeff Napier jnapier111 at outlook.com
Thu Nov 12 15:56:34 PST 2015

A few recruiting notes. Mark Hall (Sr) who is rated the #1 Overall recruit this year just declared for PSU.  The number two guy (who is just a JR) Spencer Lee will be in Iowa City for this match.  He is from PA and most  everyone seems to think it is 50-50 between Iowa and PSU. Hopefully this weekend will be helpful.
I found the article so here is a preview from someone more in the know.
http://iowawrestlingblog.com/

Season PreviewNovember 11, 2015UncategorizedIt’s that time of year with another season of Iowa Wrestling about to begin.  I will start off by saying that it is great to be an Iowa Wrestling fan.  The excitement of another season is something that I can count on every year.  Let’s get to work.I wrote in my Wrestling Report days years ago that wrestling seems to peak in an Olympic year.  I still find that to be true.  As an Iowa Wrestling Fan, we start the season this Saturday in legendary Kinnick Stadium.  The weather looks to be good and we can expect somewhere in the neighborhood of 40,000 wrestling fans to file into a football stadium to watch the Iowa Hawkeyes battle the Oklahoma State Cowboys.  The two most storied programs in the sports history should have the all time attendance record.After a great regular season, Iowa then hosts the Big Ten Wrestling Championships in legendary Carver Hawkeye Arena.  After another exciting season wraps up in Madison Square Garden in New York City, Iowa will host the 2016 Olympic Trials in April.  As I said, it is great to be an Iowa Wrestling Fan.Thomas Gilman at 125 will lead the Hawks into battle this season.  After placing fourth last season, I think most expect Gilman to be in the hunt for the National title at 125 again this year.  Gilman is tough as nails and a gritty competitor.  Just what you want from your leadoff weight heading into a dual meet, the Big Tens, and Nationals.  I am looking for a huge year from Gilman.Anytime you lead off a dual meet or a tournament and the first two into battle is Gilman at 125 and Cory Clark at 133, you can bet I will be in the crowd watching.  Clark, the second half of this 1-2 tandem, is coming off of a second place finish last season.  Clark struggled in the middle of the season and really improved to get to the National FInals.  I look for Clark to start at an even higher level this season and finish strong with a National title.    There has probably been more debate from fans about 141 than any other weight.  Look for the Hawks to start the season with Topher Carton and Logan Ryan battling it out.  Senior Brody Grothus has certified at 141 but is battling back from surgery and just got back on the mat.  Grothus is definitely looking better.  I believe it comes down to Grothus and true freshman Vince Turk at 141 for Big Tens and Nationals.  True freshman can now compete at Midlands, so Turk will have the opportunity to show what he has got if he is indeed looking at wrestling this season instead of redshirting.  Turk has been the most impressive wrestler in the Iowa room in the practices that I have attended.  I sincerely believe that both Grothus and Turk can make a heck of a run at a National title at a very, one more needed, very open weightclass in 141.  I should wait until I see Turk in competition before making a statement like that, but I do not have that luxury at this time.  The kid is that impressive in the room.Brandon Sorensen is another in a long line of small-town Iowa tough guys to compete in the Black and Gold.  Sorensen is a no-nonsense, hard working tough competitor that is the mere definition of Iowa Wrestling.  This is the type of wrestler that I really pull for.  Should Sorensen improve even half as much as he did last year, his goal should be to be standing the tallest when the medals are handed out at at 149 in Madison Square Garden.Fans, I have to go with what I have been seeing in the room last year and already this season.  I really think there is some serious potential in Edwin Cooper at 157.  This guy knows how to win as a four time Illinois State finalist, two-time State Champ and Junior Freestyle National Champion in High School.  As a freshman he was a Junior College National Champ at Iowa Central.  He was then a Division II National Runner-up at Upper Iowa.  I just see this guy as the kind that will really come alive with the bright lights.  He will have the challenge of making the lineup to start with and he will have more than likely have some additional challenges throughout the season.  But when the lights are their brightest at Big Tens in Carver and Nationals in Madison Square Garden, Cooper can make some real noise at this weight.  I think we need to take a wait and see approach at 165.  Patrick Rhoads and Burke Paddock will both probably get their chance at varsity.  If they are out there in the Black and Gold, you can bet that they will be tough competitors.  I just have not seen enough of them to really comment.  Skyler St. John will also be in the running for 157/165.Alex Meyer will be a force at 174 this season after paying his dues.  Meyer lit up Carver Hawkeye several times last year while filling in for Mike Evans when he beat ranked opponents.  I really do not see anyone at 174 that Meyer cannot beat.  This is a typical tough Iowa wrestler that I am expecting big things out of this season.Sammy Brooks was a crowd favorite with his high scoring matches through about the beginning of February last season.  Brooks did not wrestle at his anticipated level at the Big Tens and Nationals.  184 is absolutely loaded with returning All Americans and Brooks is rated around the tenth spot.  I see Brooks being at the crossroads in his career this season.  Either he will be a world beater and contend for the National title the next two years or struggle to even place.  I see it being one of those extremes.  Where Brooks finishes the season is what matters, so we will have to wait and see.For me, there is one word that will define Nathan Burak for his senior season: Expectations.  To me, this guy has all of the tools to win it all.  That is easier said than done I know, but I really feel as though it comes down to what Nathan Burak expects out of himself.  It was a huge step to make the varsity lineup as a freshman and then to be an All American as a sophomore.  Last season as a junior Burak beat the eventual World Champion and became an All American a second time. Is Nathan Burak ready to be a National Champion?  From what I can see, he certainly has all of the tools to reach that level.Nobody has improved more than Sam Stoll in the Hawkeye program.  It is hard to believe how much better he looks right now compared to not only last fall, but just this last March.  Stoll looks very good.  Will he have enough to crack the top eight to be an All American at a very loaded Heavyweight weightclass?  That is a tough road to travel, but Stoll has me excited with his attitude and skill set.  I will say he is a round of 12 guy that most definitely has the skills to find a spot on the podium at Nationals.I just feel as though there is a new energy and attitude in the program this year.  For whatever the reason, last year’s senior class did not perform near their anticipated level.  There are weightclasses up for grabs and numerous wrestlers have a chip on their shoulder…in a great way.I see All Americans at 125, 133, 141, 149, 174, 184, and 197 at this time.  I really believe Stoll at Hwt will be right there come March.  And I feel as though Cooper is a sleeper at 157.  Gilman, Clark, Sorensen, Meyer, and Burak have to be thinking about being a National Champion.  If those five make the semifinals and get four in the finals, that is a lot of points.Hey, it’s only November, but this is the kind of stuff that fans do.  My Hawks are due to have a great National Tournament.  One thing I do know is that it is great to be an Iowa Wrestling fan and I am sure looking forward to this season.  Go Hawks!