[Herky] Iowa's Aaron White vies for NBA chance

Sue Bailey minburnsb at gmail.com
Wed Jun 24 14:17:00 PDT 2015

  Iowa's Aaron White vies for NBA chance

      Forward's whirlwind spring concludes with Thursday's draft

<http://www.reddit.com/submit>

Iowa Hawkeyes forward Aaron White (30) gestures after scoring a three
point basket during the second half of a men's basketball game against
the Northwestern Wildcats at Carver-Hawkeye Arena in Iowa City on
Saturday, March 7, 2015. (Cliff Jette/The Gazette)
Scott Dochterman <mailto:scott.dochterman at gazcomm.com>, The Gazette
June 24, 2015 | 12:36 pm

IOWA CITY — Aaron White’s last six weeks consisted of 16 visits to NBA
facilities, often on consecutive days in opposite ends of the country.

The former Iowa basketball star’s whirlwind basketball tour stops
spinning with Thursday night’s NBA draft. Several mock drafts view
White, a 6-foot-9, 225-pound forward, as a second-round selection or
priority free agent.

NBA.com projects White going No. 47 to the Philadelphia 76ers. CBS
Sports’ Gary Parrish pegs White heading to the Utah Jazz at No. 54.
Others like NBA Draft Express lists White as undrafted.

The rhetoric to empty for White, a Strongsville, Ohio native, who became
a first-team all-Big Ten selection this year. White hints that a few
teams have eyes on him in the second round. But he’s also realistic
about the unpredictable nature that is draft night.

“There are a couple of teams that liked me and will look at me in the
second round,” White said. “But at the same time, anything can happen.
There’s a lot of moves that happen in the second round. Right now, I
wouldn’t say I’m 100 percent confident with where I’m going, but I’m
excited to see what happens.”

While productive for most of his Iowa career, White surged late in his
senior season, averaging a Big Ten-high 21.4 points a game over his
final nine games. He scored 20 or more points in six consecutive games
before ending with 19 against Gonzaga in an NCAA tournament loss. White
finished fifth in Big Ten scoring (16.4 points per game) and fourth in
rebounding (7.3 per game). He was the only Division I player to average
more than 16 points and seven rebounds a game while shooting better than
50 percent from the floor and 80 percent from the free-throw line.

White ranks second in Iowa history in career points (1,859), third in
rebounds (901) and owns school marks for games played (140), free throws
(618) and attempts (800). He sank more free throws than any Big Ten
player in the last 53 years.

White’s college career has included stops with the U.S. national team
for the 2013 World University Games and invitations to the elite LeBron
James and Kevin Durant camps. In May, he was one of 60 players invited
to the NBA scouting combine.

“Aaron White definitely has a chance to get drafted,” said ESPN draft
analyst Chad Ford. “I’m not sure that he gets drafted, I would put him
as a bubble second-rounder. The things that he brings to the table
obviously are hustle, athleticism. The question is, is there skill level
enough there? Is he good enough at those things to warrant a
second-round pick?”

White has played multiple positions on the floor and worked as both a
primary and secondary scorer. NBA.com’s scouting report touts White’s
consistency and improvement over his Iowa career and writes White “is
more athletic than he is given credit for (35” maximum vertical jump)
... Very springy ... Was great in fast break opportunities and often
found the right angles and spaces when cutting to the hoop ... Handles
the ball well enough to beat slower defenders off the dribble ... Has
great straight line speed when attacking the basket ... More than just a
shooter, White can score in a variety of ways on offense ... Drew a very
high number of fouls his senior season ...”

But like every player, White has room for improvement, especially on
defense. Among White’s deficiencies, according to NBA.com, include “not
a great defender and may not ever reach average either ... Did not take
a lot of perimeter shots as he should’ve in college (only 59 as a
senior) ... Tends to fall asleep defensively ... Gets out of position
when off the ball at times.”

White acknowledged he needs more strength to consistently defend NBA
power forwards. He believes he established his competitiveness and
versatility in pre-draft workouts, which consisted of games of
three-on-three, two-on-two and one-on-one. His basketball intelligence
and feel — among his many strengths at Iowa — also work in his favor.

“I can do a lot of different things on the floor,” White said. “I’ve
been shooting it well in my workouts. The biggest thing they want to see
is am I strong enough to guard a true four man? That would probably be
the biggest thing. Right now I’m like 225, and they’d like to see me a
little bit bigger, a little bit stronger. That will come with basketball
being my job.”

As a lifelong NBA fan, White has experienced moments of awe during his
workouts, from seeing championship banners in Boston, San Antonio and
Los Angeles to noticing Phil Jackson watching him work out in New York.

“It’s a little bit intimidating to sit across from Pat Riley, when I had
the Heat,” White said. “But at the same time you just have to be
yourself. That’s one thing I wasn’t really worried about, the
interviews. I knew that would actually be something that would do well
for me. I just wanted to show that I care, that I would work hard and
help the team.”

White plans to watch the draft with family and Iowa’s coaching staff at
a local restaurant. He doesn’t want a large gathering — “You don’t want
to have a party and not get picked,” he says. But he’s excited for the
next stage of his life: a chance at the NBA.

“It’s been a great process and something I’m not taking for granted,”
White said. “I’m trying to enjoy it and soak up the moments.

“June 25 is obviously a big day, but in the grand scheme of things, it’s
one day out of my career. That’s just where I start.”