[Herky] Elite Recruit!

Larry Edwards larryed6124 at knology.net
Sun Jun 21 17:04:19 PDT 2015

I agree with you. After the 4 seniors graduate in 2016, Iowa basketball may take a step back in 2016-2017, as they will have only 3 upperclassmen. Peter Jok and Dale Jones will be Seniors and Dom Uhl will be a Junior in 2016-2017. Thus, in the unlikely event no one transfers, there will be two scholarships open in 2017 and one in 2018.

Iowa should be fine without a true center on offense. On defense, the faster shot clock and using quicker players to press may partially offset a size disadvantage.

It will be interesting to see what heights incoming players are listed at in the official Iowa statistics. Observers at the first PTL game thought several incoming players were shorter than their claimed heights, based on comparisons to existing and former Iowa players they were seen beside. Some thought Dale Jones only 6'6", though at 230 pounds he should be strong enough to play power forward. JUCO players often have exaggerated heights and Jones was listed at 6'5" as a high school senior. A growth spurt of three inches after high school is unusual but not impossible. Many thought Wagner only 6'6" rather than 6"7" and Hutton 6'4" or even less.