[Herky] Elite Recruit!

Larry Edwards larryed6124 at knology.net
Sun Jun 21 13:09:59 PDT 2015

Why? Because Iowa needs more than just wings who are 6'5" to 6'7". The 2015 class consisted only of 6 wings; all of some can play small forward along with other positions. McCaffery's sons are both likely to be wings, so Joe Weiskamp as another wing will leave Iowa unbalanced at positions. Unless someone leaves, there are only two scholarships available for 2017 and one for 2018, and Conner McCaffery and Weiskamp will take up two of those three available scholarships. I do expect some of the 2015 wings to transfer because there just won't be enough playing time at the wings for everyone.

Iowa does have 4 scholarships for 2016, with Pemsl, a likely power forward, the only commit. Fran is looking to recruit a big man and a pure point guard in 2016, but still has multiple offers out to yet more wings. Several of the "big man" offers are 6'9" or so and may be more of a stretch 5 or stretch 4 than a true inside player. Clearly Iowa is going from an interior oriented big team to a smaller, more athletic, perimeter oriented team in the future. We will see the first evidence of that this year when Woodbury is out. It's a good thing that Uthoff is up to 220 pounds, because he will probably be the one defending the 5 when Woody is out. With 4 of the 6 incoming freshman effective three point shooters, there are several combinations that will allow everyone on the court to be a three-point threat. That will spread opposing defenses and allow drives.