[Herky] Iowa Hawkeye fans set the standard for real neighborliness!

Jim Monahan jimmonahan8 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 14 13:55:52 PST 2015

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/opinion/readers/2015/12/13/iowa-hawkeyes-fans-set-standard/77115714/?from=global&sessionKey=&autologin=

'Iowa nice" is real!  Seems many friends have had positive experiences in
Iowa City in contact with students as I too so often have known.

In mid-career, I returned to  the Journalism School, invited to give a
seminar on public relations, where I had earned MAs way back in the
mid-60s.

Lost my bearings walking with wife Rose downtown trying to find a good
restaurant.  The city had changed and a couple favorite spots were no more.

So we needed advice.  Asked a student couple passing by in front of The
Airliner (had libations there for old times' sake) for ideas on where to
have lunch.

So hospitable!   They sweetly debated between  themselves which popular
spots we might like.  Then three other passersby they knew joined the
conversation.  Great give and take on merits of places to get an especially
good lunch.

Within a minute or two, three others decided to enter the discussion. My
wife, Rose, is a good listener and chose to ask (too many) questions in
comparing dining options.

Whoa!  I was becoming overwhelmed with "Iowa niceness".  Thanked them all
for suggestions and went on our merry way.

After all that, we opted to drive to Max Zuber's place in the Amana
Colonies.

It might seem to some to be a trivial event to have smart and
ultra-friendly students decide to spend a few minutes with us in animated
debate about lunch joints, but it wasn't to us.

It's not easy to forget authentic " Iowa niceness"!

Jim Monahan